Friday, August 31, 2007

Complexity and other little things ...

I was working with a couple today who had a one month old little boy. He was adorable!! Imagine the odd juxtaposition of the direct confrontation required to get through to an alcoholic, the anger of a wife who has been lied to many times and the sweet scent of a baby and the little but heavy weight of the boy who I was keeping calm by bouncing. I was a bit overwhelmed a few times. I was calming, confronting, and comforting simultaneously. Oh yeah, and I was trying to ignore my own paternal urges which I have been getting quite a bit lately. Holding that beautiful little boy probably did not help me stay focused on the therapy. At that time, I knew there was too much going on for me to manage coherently. I gave that session to God.

And I enjoyed it more than I ever have before. I've done a few therapy sessions (five years of working in this field), but today was the first time I couldn't manage all of the dynamics in the room. And it worked out. Well.

I don't know if their relationship will weather this storm but I dearly hope so.

No comments: