Sunday, August 26, 2007

complicated salvation

If you have not seen Black Snake Moan, I'm not sure you want to. But as I was watching/writing my dissertation, I was struck by the complexity of the plot. The main characters are two individuals suddenly cast adrift by life circumstances, confused and grasping frantically for any kind of meaning in life.

If you are easily offended or distracted, don't watch this movie. But the resolute choices of the male lead to face down the Black Snake Moan, his name for the devil within each of us, amazed me. I think salvation/redemption tend to be more organic and messy than most religious bodies acknowledge it being. What if true salvation only occurs when the very core of you meets the Spirit of God? Think that happens when you are in a suit and a tie?

If so, think again. For me this type of meeting only occurs when I can taste the smokiness of my blood in my mouth from the worst beating I have ever experienced. When I feel unable to get up and I'm in the most pain my body can feel, whether physical or emotional, I begin to meet God.

After that, my eyes can open, my nostrils catch scents for the first time, my skin knows its surroundings like never before. Once my spirit knows it won't be comfortable I begin to accept my need for Him. Have you experienced a complicated salvation?

No comments: